Thursday, August 6, 2009

I am such an idiot!


So today I hit my house with my car! Here's the brilliant reason why, I forgot to put it in park! Ever since I started having kids I have been the biggest goof, doing all sorts of dumb things and now I have a new one to add. Here's how it happened. We have two sets of keys in the car. The set that wasn't being used when I got home had the house key on it so I just grabbed it and got out to unlock the front door before I got the kids out so they didn't have to wait in the heat. When I turned around to come back the car was moving! We have a post in front of my house that the car was about to hit so I stepped in between them and got pinned! Thankfully, I did manage to stop the car (did I mention it's a Suburban!) instead of getting completely squished between the car and the post. Could you imagine what would have happened if I wasn't strong enough to stop the car?! Anyways, now I am pinned in between wondering what the heck to do next. My phone was in the car so I couldn't call someone, Dave was at work and wouldn't be home for a long time, and if I can wedge myself out the car will hit the post and both will get damaged. I decided to wait to see if anyone would walk by and could get in my car and back it up then put it in park. Well not too many people go for walks when it's a 112 degrees outside! I realized that our planter was within reach and maybe I could wedge it between the tire and the car to stop it from hitting. I grabbed it and knocked it over spilling the soil and dead flowers everywhere, finally got it into position, shimmied my squished body out and ran for the front seat. The planter didn't do anything and the car still hit the post but there is no damage to either thankfully. The kids had no idea what was going on and were contently watching Brother Bear in the car the whole time. The only damage is the burn to my hand trying to push on a black Suburban in the heat. I can't believe how hot cars can get! Oh yeah, and as I was finally getting the kids out a biker rode by. If only they would have come about two minutes earlier!

The aftermath

6 comments:

Billie said...

oh my gosh!!! what more is there to say? :) I'm glad everyone and everything is ok!

Taylors said...

kids definitely make you dumber, I know thats not even a real word. that story is awesome. I cant believe you had enough balls to step in front of the car!

Nic said...

so glad it was you and not me, because this could have easily happened to me! The more kids you have, the more common these kind of incidents occur in my life...thanks for sharing, funny!

love the new updates on everyone! Justin's spiderman moves are sweet. And Isabelle's curls are to die for!

It was fun to see you last week

The Poulsen Five said...

The kids pull a part of your brain out each time you give birth...That's why as mom's we have our dumb moments.

Julie said...

That story is hilarious!!!! Only probably not at the time. And you must be the strongest person I know--at least that story is making you sound pretty darn tough--its one to retell and retell. Oh, and if it makes you feel any better I locked my kids in the car (little ones in car seats) while it was on at a stop sign--that's a story too.

Hermana Kalley McConaghie said...

Wow! What a story! I have been known to try and stop cars and boats with my body as well. Not the smartest - but it is the first thing that comes to mind. Thanks for the laugh and the realization that I am not the only one.