Monday, October 27, 2008

Twenty-nine is fine, right?

Yesterday I turned the big 2-9. It was a great day and Dave and I had a great date Saturday night to celebrate but I am still having mixed feelings about this one! I am just one year away from turning 30 which if I think about that too long it starts to freak me out! We ate at the Macaroni Grill Saturday, and I couldn't help looking around at all the young employees and remembering when I worked in restaurants during college. I thought to myself, "I'm not that much older than them now, right?" but if I asked them they probably would think i'm old! On the other hand I think, "I'm only 29 so why do I feel like i'm 39!" I can't believe how much having kids and all these "adult" responsibilities has aged me. How do you stay feeling young when it's so hard to find any time to yourself? Sometimes I think, "In a couple of years when my kids are older and more independent it will be okay, but then I remember I'M PREGNANT and the whole cycle of raising a child is about to start over! But if I really step back and put things in perspective I feel like I have so much at such a young age. I have a wonderful husband who supports and encourages me in everything that I do, two beautiful children with one on the way that bring me more joy and laughter then I could ever imagine, a beautiful house in a great neighborhood, and I come from a wonderful family and now I have amazing in-laws too. The list could go on and on and on and with each birthday i'm sure that I will have more to add to that list so I think from now on i'm just going to remember "Age is just a number" especially next year when I will be turning 30!

By the way, here's something that always brings a smile to my face when I think about it, no matter how old I am, Dave will always be 4 years older! Just one of the benefits of marrying an older man! I love you Dave!

I would love to put a picture up of my birthday yesterday but we didn't take any! Instead, here is a picture from October 2004, when I wasn't even thinking about age!

9 comments:

Taylors said...

Thats a great picture!! You look hot...for 29!!!! j/k You do look good though. Happy birthday!!!! It always makes me feel better also when I think about my older husband ;)

raegan said...

Jilynn, Happy Birthday. I found your blog through Lois. If this makes you feel any better, I turned 30 this month. I am old! Oh well, life is good! Enjoy it.

raegan said...

Oh, That is a GREAT picture! You are too cute!

Maylene said...

Happy Birthday Jilynn! You look gorgeous in that picture! Actually I don't think you really look that much different now. I am always amazed what a great mom you are. Remember that summer you came and lived with me at Liberty Square before we had any real responsibilities. That was such a fun summer, but seriously I would never have guessed that anyone from those days could possibly have kids and be responisible (or at least attempting it, that's what I feel like I am doing). I'm glad you have a good sense of humor about doing the whole pregnant thing and baby thing all over again. But your kids are so cute so it will totally be worth it.

Julie said...

Jilynn, how are you only 29!!! I forgot that you were younger for our grade. I'm turning 30 in two months and you're sitting here telling me how old it is, I was already freaking out about it! Nice pic and Happy birthday!!

The Hansen Family said...

Yuck, turning 29 sucks. Yuck, turning 30 sucks. My suggestion is to block it all out like I have done. I'm stil 27... or was it 26...?

Oh hey, Happy Birthday!! :)

Jilynn said...

Okay, now I feel retarded . . . I wasn't looking for compliments about the picture but thank you for them anyways!

Lindsay said...

Oh no! That means my birthday must be coming up soon. Well at least I can take some comfort in the fact that Chandler will be turning 30 just a week later. Haha. Its okay though. I don't really think about age all that often anymore so you have permission to not worry about it either. Happy Birthday Jilynn!

Nic said...

Happy Birthday! And "Amen" to your post because I'm feeling the same growing pains! 29 sounds & feels WAY old. Glad to (almost)share birthdays wtih you!

*let's do lunch to celebrate